K-12 Public Education
Great public education in the Alleghany Highlands and graduates who are equipped to successfully transition into higher education, the 21st-century workplace, and lifelong citizenship. (Adopted January 2014)
- Engage with teachers, administrators and the community at large to develop approaches that improve educational outcomes.
- Gather data about specific needs and promising practices for strengthening educational outcomes in our region.
- Partner to provide focused professional development for implementation for promising practices.
- Continue to monitor data for the long-term goals of building a career-ready workforce, a high graduation rate and a healthy community with an engaged citizenry.
Evidence of achieving this outcome would be as follows:
- Student success with academic rigor and career and technical education.
- Strong social-emotional learning in the classroom and school climate as measured by the risk behavior survey and data collection.
- Good physical health.
- Growth of employers and jobs because the area offers workers highly trained in the 21st-century skills.
- Attracting new residents who want to relocate here because of the quality of public schools.
Current Investments and Strategic Partners:
Joint Public School Systems (Alleghany County and Covington City Public Schools)
- Instructional Technology Coach
- New Tech Space Utilization Study
- Motivational Keynote Speaker (for all staff, teachers, and administrators)
- Responsive Classroom
- Jackson River Technical Center Welding Lab Upgrade & Enhancements
Garth Newel Music Center
- Alleghany Mountain String Project
Alleghany Highlands YMCA
- Leadership and Civility Classes
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
- Professional Development, Summer Teacher Institute