Post-Secondary Strategies: (Language from 2009 Strategic Plan)
Outcome: To provide our adult population with access to an affordable, flexible, and highly effective post-secondary system so that our workers are prepared to meet the needs of the 21st-century workplace and a rapidly changing economy.
- Set goals for post-secondary educational attainment for all segments of the regional population. Pay attention to closing equity gaps (gender, income, and race).
- Collaborate with Dabney S. Lancaster Community College to create world-class programs that prepare local residents for living wage work and entrepreneurial careers.
- Implement a “Relationship management” program with local employers to develop training and service that raise worker productivity.
- Incubate new approaches to credentialing and career pathways that create local opportunities for motivated residents to remain in the region.
Indicators: Evidence of achieving this outcome would be as follows:
- Higher enrollments at our post-secondary institution;
- Increased number of graduates successfully entering the workforce;
- Increased number of highly skilled workforce (certification, degreed, and licensures programs); and,
- Improved economic climate of our area.
Current Investments and Strategic Partners:
DSLCC Educational Foundation (over three years)
- DSLCC VISION 2020 Increasing Educational Attainment – $1,400,000
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
- Increasing Educational Attainment in the Alleghany Highlands – $321,930
- Expansion of EMS Training Program – $261,395
Alleghany Highlands Regional Library
- Computer Learning Lab – $56,447
Radford University Foundation (over three years)
- LewisGale Alleghany Hospital / Radford University Clinical Stipends – $105,000