Early Childhood Development
Outcome: In keeping with the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation, every child is prepared for school, laying the foundation for school, workforce and life success.
- Form a community coalition that focuses on the early experiences during the first five years of a child’s life, when critical long-term brain development is occurring.
- Help develop access to resources that support parents and children before a child enters a classroom in order to build a path to success in school and life.
- Use data to better understand and choose investments that strengthen early childhood development.
Indicators: Evidence of achieving this outcome would be as follows:
- Healthy births
- Supported families
- Families supportive of children in pre-school and early elementary
- Enriching and healthy learning experiences birth to age 5
- School readiness
- Strong social and emotional skills
- Third-grade reading proficiency
Current Investments and Strategic Partners
Alleghany Highlands YMCA
- YMCA Early Learning Program Childcare Financial Assistance
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library
The Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library is a book gifting program that gifts free books to children from birth to age five. The program has gone from just a few dozen books to over 80,000,000 books mailed to children.
Register your child to receive free books!