The Alleghany Foundation was established in 1995 with $35 million in proceeds from the sale of Alleghany Regional Hospital. Since then, the Foundation has awarded millions of dollars in grants to improve the quality of life in the Alleghany Highlands of Virginia. The Foundation seeks applications in key focus areas with the goal of building upon the region’s wonderful assets to provide dynamic opportunities for all its residents.
Key Focus Areas for Grants
- Economic Transformation – In its grantmaking in this category, the foundation seeks proposals that harness our region’s strengths to develop a vibrant, diverse and higher-wage economy that can compete in the global marketplace.
- Educational Attainment – Build the human capital base for a new economy that provides all Alleghany Highlands residents with a fair chance of success.
- Health and Wellness – Help the residents of the Alleghany Highlands lead healthier lives and access the comprehensive health care they need.
- Leadership and Civic Vitality – Develop broad-based inclusive leadership that can sustain a forward-looking agenda for the community.
- Community Capacity – Grow local institutions and organizations with the vision, will, wisdom, and skills to work together to build a more prosperous, equitable, just and sustainable community.
Applying for a Grant
Before starting the electronic application, please review the Application Guidelines and following tutorials: